1. All books entered by you must be independently published and you must have full rights. (This means the book must be self-published by the author. In other words, you retain full rights to your book.) We have broadened the award to include books published by small, independent presses.
2. Acceptable Books: If you are self-published through sites like Amazon’s KDP, Smashwords, Createspace or Pubit, or you are published through a vanity press where you retain your rights and remain autonomous, you can enter your book in the Best Indie Book Award™ contest. We have broadened the award to include books published by small, independent presses. (Most independent authors are eligible. If in doubt on your rights, check with your publishing company.)
3. Not Acceptable: Your book is published by HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster. Penguin, or any other major publisher and you have a contract where you do NOT have full publishing rights.
4. Fiction entries are limited to independently published, full length novels consisting of 45,000 words or more.
5. Non-fiction entries are limited to independently published books of 25,000 words or more.
6. Children’s entries have no minimum word count.
7. We will accept any indie book that has been published after 2008. (The book must be currently available.)
8. All entrants must be 18 years old or older.
9. The Best Indie Book Award™ contest is open to anyone who has independently published the book they wish to enter. (You do not have to be listed on any of our sites in order to enter a book in the contest, but your book does have to be fully independently produced.)
11. If an entrant pays for entrance into the contest and does not submit a mobi or Word doc of their complete book, the entry fee will be forfeited by the author.
12. We only accept mobi, Word doc or docx formats of your complete novel; all other formats will result in immediate disqualification from the contest and your entry fee will be forfeited. We do not convert files for entrants.
13. If there are no viable books (books written well enough to achieve award status) in a particular category, we reserve the right not to present an award for that specific category. No refund will be given to the entrants.
14. Due to the high cost of shipping outside the United States, physical awards will not be shipped to any winners that live outside the United States. In lieu of a trophy, a certificate will be mailed, and the winner will also receive the digital award emblem that all winners receive.
15. Your book rights remain your own. And entrants are not obligated to list their book for sale on the Best Indie Bookstore.
16. You may enter more than one book in the contest, but each entry must be accompanied by the $50 entry fee. So, if you enter two books in the contest, your entry fees will total $100, and so on. Entry fees are non-refundable.
17. All judges in the contest will remain anonymous. No exceptions to this rule. In addition, entrant information is kept strictly confidential. No information will be given regarding the judging of the books or the number of books entered in the contest or who entered. (With the exception of announcing the winners.)
18. Each year the annual Best Indie Book Award™ will be open for submission on January 1st and will close on August 31st.
19. Entries will be judged based on multiple writing skills, which include story-telling ability, author’s ability to engage the reader, transitions, pacing, movement of the story, author’s skill with voice, character, dialogue, and narrative. Grammar skills will also be taken into consideration.
20. One winner will be announced for each category. This means there will be seven total winners, one in each category.
21. If you submit an entry without payment, your entry will be deleted within 24 hours of submission and will not be judged.
22. Winners will be announced by November 15 of each year.
23. By entering, each entrant agrees to these terms.
24. We maintain the right to move a book to the correct category without notice if we feel it was entered in the wrong genre.
25. If after due diligence we are unable to contact a winner, we reserve the right to disqualify said winner, and if possible, award the title to another author in that category.
26. You (Author or End User) will indemnify and hold BestIndieBookAward.com and its licensees, successors and assigns, and their distributors, customers, officers, directors, members, employees and agents, harmless against any expense (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and disbursements) or judgment, settlement or other liability arising out of any claim or legal proceeding asserting claims contrary to any warranty or representation made by You in this Agreement.
We reserve the right to change these terms at any time without notice.