Will I Retain My Book Rights If I Enter?
Absolutely! It’s your book, you can do whatever you wish with it. You retain full rights to any work you submit.
What Formats Do You Accept?
We only accept mobi, Word doc or docx formats of your complete novel.
What If I Don’t Have A Mobi or Doc File?
We do not convert files for you, but you can get a mobi file of your book from Amazon KDP or Smashwords.
Can I Enter A Book That Has Not Been Released Yet?
No. We will accept any indie book that has been published after 2012, but the book must be currently available to the public.
Is There A Minimum Word Count For Entries?
- Fiction entries are limited to independently published, full length novels consisting of 45,000 words or more.
- Non-fiction entries are limited to independently published books of 25,000 words or more.
- Childrens books do not have a minimum word count.
- Novellas should be between 7,500 and 45,000 words.
Is There An Age Requirement To Enter?
All entrants must be 18 years old or older.
What Do You Mean By Independently Published?
Any books you enter must be independently published and your own work. This means the book must be self-published by the author (You). In other words, you retain full rights to your book. We have broadened the award to include books published by small, independent presses.
Acceptable Books: If you are self-published through sites like Amazon’s KDP, Smashwords, Createspace or Pubit, or you are published through a vanity press where you retain your rights and remain autonomous, you can enter your book in the Best Indie Book Award™ contest. We have broadened the award to include books published by small, independent presses.
Not Acceptable: Your book is published by major publishers, such as HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster. Penguin, or any other major publisher and you have a contract where you do NOT have full publishing rights.
I Live Outside The United States, Can I Still Enter?
* In rare cases, due to the high cost of shipping outside the United States, a physical award may not be shipped to a winner that lives outside the United States. We will, however, do all we can to ensure winners receive their trophy. In such instances, we will contact the winner to make arrangements for delivery. If no viable method of delivery is available, a certificate will be mailed in lieu of a trophy, and the winner will also receive the digital award emblem to use that all winners receive. To date; all of our winners have received the physical trophy.
What Categories Will Be Judged?
Ten categories will be judged.
- Young Adult
Can I Enter More Than One Book?
You may enter more than one book in the contest, but each entry must be accompanied by the $50 entry fee. So, if you enter two books in the contest, your entry fees will total $100, and so on. *Entry fees are non-refundable.
Can I Enter The Same Book In More Than One Category?
Yes. You may enter the book in multiple categories. There will be a $50 fee for each category entered.
How Will Books Be Judged?
Entries will be judged based on multiple writing skills, which include story-telling ability, author’s ability to engage the reader, transitions, pacing, movement of the story, author’s skill with voice, character, dialogue, and narrative. Grammar skills will also be taken into consideration.
When Will Winners Be Announced?
Winners will be announced by December 1st. of each year.
What Do The Winners Receive?
There will be one winner for each category.
Each winner will receive:
- The Best Indie Book Award™ Emblem to proudly display on their website and book cover. The emblem can be used to promote your book wherever you like.
- A physical Best Indie Book Award™ trophy to display at book signings, in their office or home.
- Their winning book featured in advertising, email, social networks and other means.
- Their book displayed on the front page of the Best Indie Book Award website, and listed on the permanent, archived “Winners” page of this site.
- The winners will also be announced on this site and across multiple social networks. (Tens of thousands of followers total.)
- Winners can proudly mention their award everywhere, including in their book blurb and bio.
How Do I Enter?
Complete the entry form and payment. http://bestindiebookaward.com/submit/product/best-indie-book-award-entry/
What is the Best Indie Book Award?
The Best Indie Book Award™ is an annual literary award contest recognizing independent authors in ten major genres. Entries are limited to independently (indie) published books, including those from small presses, e-book publishers, and self-published authors.
The Best Indie Book Award™ has been mentioned by many best-selling authors and on many author related websites and blogs, including Alinka Rutkowska in her book HOW I SOLD 80,000 BOOKS: Book Marketing for Authors (Self Publishing through Amazon and Other Retailers). USA Today and New York Times best-selling author Kathy Clark is among previous winners, as well as Movie Producer Eran Gadot.